Who's OnlineWe have 14 guests online
Help support us
|Top 10 Disadvantages to Having a Two Sim Place|
|Second Life - Chat|
|Written by Skidz Tweak|
|Friday, 03 April 2009 17:55|
With Skidz Isle, I had the opportunity to build a place in Second Life with two sims, which really was a first for me....
With Skidz Isle I had the opportunity to build a place in Second Life with two sims, which really was a first for me. While of course this has several advantages, there are also some disadvantages that I didn't foresee and thought I would share with you all.
So here is my top 10 disadvantages list to having two sims (they get progressively worse):
10. Sounds on my waterfall only happen on one sim and not the other
Because the prim making the sound is all on one side. I could buy a second sound rock, but it's something I can live with.
9. Ugly floor signs that make you aware of the sim crossings
Now this by no means is super necessary when making a two sim place, but it is very helpful to the visitors.
8. The teleport system you implement can only work on one sim at a time
Luckily, Skidz Isle has symmetry so it was not that big of an issue.
7. Managing the banned users is more difficult
Two sims makes this more difficult to juggle for the volunteers in the sandbox. Not much of a problem if you have estate managers and ban from all regions, but difficult if you don't.
6. Chat does not cross the sim lines
It's amazing how many times I have stood in the lobby, and found out someone was standing on the other sim trying to chat with me.
5. Overall lag did increase slightly
This might be because my draw distance is always turned up to 512, but the client does seem to respond a little slower.
4. Lag caused from crossing the sim
At the beginning, this was super bad. And I mean so bad, it was not doable at all. I had to contact Linden Labs, and they very quickly moved the sim so it was in the same data center.
3. Special care had to be taken when making up the floor so you would not fall through
Under the floor are some huge prims that span the walkable areas. One had to be placed on both sims, just .001 away from the edge to ensure you don't fall through.
2. Traffic is divided up between the two sims and not shared.
This lowers the results in the search of course, and really does stink.
And the number one thing... *starts tapping his desk for the drum roll*
1. The cost is twice as much
Yes, that does really stink... Please help support the sandbox by donating when you can. Any amount would help. :)
|Last Updated on Sunday, 12 April 2009 08:34|